Arup are a UK-based, global consulting firm of consulting engineers (think Goldman Sachs of engineering!). Famously they turned the architects vision of the Sydney Opera House into reality alongside many other famous projects (Scottish Parliament, Coventry Cathederal, Barbican Centre, London Eye, Angel of the North, Millennium Bridge, Pompidou Centre, City of Manchester Stadium etc…)
- Graduate vacancies are open now, due to close around 15th November. They offer summer placements too. (Be aware, in our experience, they are quite slow at getting back to students, so be patient)
- Some offices are easier to fill than others. London is popular; apparently Bristol much less so and Whitehaven (nuclear industry) can be a challenge, so students could be strategic!
- …but choice of office is a partly determined by the role as not all offices have every role.
- Arup like our students!
- Ove Arup (founder) gave his “Key Speech” in 1970, but it still guides the values of the company and students should be aware of it and have read over it.
- They recruit from a surprisingly wide number of UoE subjects: (e.g) Acoustics, Animation, Archaeology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Criminology, Ecology, Engineering (all disciplines), Enviro Science, IT/Informatics, Maths, Physics, Psychology, Public Health, Social Policy, Zoology… and others! Go to https://careers.arup.com/earlycareers/ and scroll down to Filter vacancies by subject.
- In some subjects/offices they will sponsor international students, but it depends on the competition and the student.
Arup sent us the following email yesterday…
I was hoping you may be able to make your students aware of an online chat platform that we’re using at Arup this year as part of our graduate scheme and placement (summer and industrial) application process.
Every Tuesday and Thursday between 13:30 – 15:00 we will be hosting 1 to 1 live chats for students who are interested in finding out more about Arup, application processes, current projects, whatever they can think of! They will be connected to a member of our Early Careers team and will be able to chat to them on a 1 to 1 basis allowing our team to focus their complete attention on each individual student and also discuss an sensitive matters.
Students can sign up to the sessions using the following links:
Tuesday – https://meetandengage.com/b6z9g7h6t
Thursday – https://meetandengage.com/t6d7h7g5