The Financial Conduct Authority works to make sure financial markets are honest, fair and effective so that consumers get a fair deal. They do this by regulating more than 59,000 businesses.
Next summer you could be developing your skills in an environment that makes a real difference to society. They have three summer internship programmes and closing date is 5 January 2020
Data Science Summer Internship Programme:
Technology and Change Summer Internship Programme:
Cyber and Information Resilience Summer Internship Programme
Find out more and apply here
Arup are a UK-based, global consulting firm of consulting
engineers (think Goldman Sachs of engineering!). Famously they turned the
architects vision of the Sydney Opera House into reality alongside many
other famous projects (Scottish Parliament, Coventry Cathederal, Barbican
Centre, London Eye, Angel of the North, Millennium Bridge, Pompidou Centre,
City of Manchester Stadium etc…)
- Graduate vacancies are open now, due to close around 15th November. They offer summer placements too. (Be aware, in our experience, they are quite slow at getting back to students, so be patient)
- Some offices are easier to fill than others. London is popular; apparently Bristol much less so and Whitehaven (nuclear industry) can be a challenge, so students could be strategic!
- …but choice of office is a partly determined by the role as not all offices have every role.
- Arup like our students!
- Ove Arup (founder) gave his “Key Speech” in 1970, but it still guides the values of the company and students should be aware of it and have read over it.
- They recruit from a surprisingly wide number of UoE subjects: (e.g) Acoustics, Animation, Archaeology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Criminology, Ecology, Engineering (all disciplines), Enviro Science, IT/Informatics, Maths, Physics, Psychology, Public Health, Social Policy, Zoology… and others! Go to https://careers.arup.com/earlycareers/ and scroll down to Filter vacancies by subject.
- In some subjects/offices they will sponsor international students, but it depends on the competition and the student.
Arup sent us the following email yesterday…
I was hoping you may be able to make your students aware of an online chat platform that we’re using at Arup this year as part of our graduate scheme and placement (summer and industrial) application process.
Every Tuesday and Thursday between 13:30 – 15:00 we will be hosting 1 to 1 live chats for students who are interested in finding out more about Arup, application processes, current projects, whatever they can think of! They will be connected to a member of our Early Careers team and will be able to chat to them on a 1 to 1 basis allowing our team to focus their complete attention on each individual student and also discuss an sensitive matters.
Students can sign up to the sessions using the following links:
Cambridge Consultants are a leading supplier of innovative product development engineering and technology consulting.
- Facilities: over 100,000 sq ft of fully equipped laboratories and prototyping facilities on their own premises in Cambridge and Boston
- Scale: more than 500 staff, including scientists, mathematicians, engineers and designers, able to bring multidisciplinary technology insight to client problems
- Breadth of operation across medical technology and pharmaceuticals, wireless communications, consumer and industrial, energy and transport, and defence and security, enables insights and solution approaches to be transferred efficiently between sectors
Are you keen to apply your mathematical and scientific knowledge to solving creative and technically challenging problems? Join their team of talented mathematicians, physicists and engineers to develop future leading edge information systems.
They are currently recruiting for a graduate physicist or mathematician to work on client assignments and provide key ideas for projects involving the design, implementation and test of a wide range of products and systems. This will involve working with data from sensors or unstructured data and developing algorithms to extract valuable information. Clear presentation of results both internally and to clients is also important. Full vacancy details here
They also offer summer internships and have some good videos on their site giving a flavour of their projects
Are you keen to apply your scientific and mathematical knowledge to solving creative and technically challenging problems?
Cambridge Consultants are looking for a graduate physicist (or mathematician) to work on client assignments and provide key ideas for projects involving the design, implementation and test of a wide range of products and systems. The job involves:
- working with data from sensors or unstructured data
- developing algorithms to extract valuable information
- clear presentation of results both internally and to clients
They recruit for summer internships too.
Find out more here